Saturday, June 25, 2011

Why should I microchip my pet?

      Most of us have a general idea about microchips, but maybe not what they really are, what they do, or how they can be beneficial to you and your pet.  As I've stated here before, I have a kennel and raise Miniature Dachshunds (another shameless plug, www.dogwooddachshunds.com).  I have decided that I will offer microchip service to new parents of my puppies.  So I bought the equipment (whew! not cheap!), and will soon send out a mailing informing everyone on my mailing  list of available service.  I will be doing microchips for my puppy customers and others as well.
      A microchip is a tiny capsule that is actually injected under the skin on the dog's back.  Inside that capsule is encoded information which is registered to the pet owner.  I will be using the AKC Companion Animal Recovery (CAR) system.  When a lost or stolen dog is taken to a shelter or veterinarian, they will be scanned for the presence of a microchip.  The information retained by AKC CAR will trace the dog, not only back to the owners, but to the person who administered the microchip.  Many dogs have found their way back home through the use of microchips, to the extreme joy of both dogs and owners.
      To find someone to microchip your dog or cat, simply call your own veterinarian, as it's quite possible they will provide the service.  The cost varies widely, from as little as $45 to $165.  Some are pre-registered with CAR (probably the more expensive ones), and some will give you paperwork that you will mail in to CAR with a small one-time fee that will keep your pet registered with them for life.
      It is definitely something to think about.  A small cost that could save heartache later.  If you have a comment or question about this subject, or any other we've discussed here, please leave it in the comment section and I will get back to you as quickly as possible.  As always, if I don't know the answer, I'll find out for you. 
      Thanks for stopping by, and as always, Happy Tails, Everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment