Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Why you should spay and neuter your pets.

     Today, I feel a special need to tell you a little about the spay/neuter question some of you may have.  I decided this would be my subject today while I was cleaning my kennels.  It was pretty nice outside this morning, and not too awfully hot.  My house dogs, Popeye and Missy, had gone out with me while I had first watered my vegetable garden where I picked a bowl of green beans and a cucumber.  I sat the bowl down on the path and then began the process of cleaning the outdoor runs that are attached to the kennel (the dogs let themselves out through doggie doors).  This is a very glamorous job in which some very complicated equipment is utilized to .  .  .  Oh, let me be honest.  You take a scooper and a scraper in and pick up all the poop in the runs!  Then they get hosed down, so they're nice and clean.  We (my husband/partner in scooping poop) do this at least once per day.  So, anyway--as I began to clean the runs, I saw my precious and wonderful Popeye go over to my bowl of freshly picked vegetables and--after sniffing the contents--turned and lifted his leg to the side of the bowl.  Now, first of all, Popeye is a mini-Dachshund, so he's not far off the ground.  And he was neutered when he was about 1 1/2 years old, so he doesn't have much, uh, behind his actions.  Now you will be relieved to know that he didn't even come close to the bowl.  But it did make me think I would like to tell you how you can avoid this scene at your house.  Notice I said I had him neutered at age 1 1/2.  I had considered using him in my breeding program, even though he lived in my house.  Well, the "marking" business (table legs, drapes, etc.) convinced me that I had enough males in the kennel without using him, so I had him "fixed".  But he already had the behaviour instilled in him.  So it still comes out when he goes outside.  He almost never does it in the house, unless another dog visits that he does not know.  So, read on for a little more information about this subject.   
     There are actually several reasons to spay female and neuter male dogs.  And they are good and valid reasons.  First of all, it reduces cancer risk in both males and females.  (Yes, dogs get cancer, just like we do!)  And I truly believe it makes for a happier, more satisfied dog when he or she is not bothered by the naturally occurring urge to breed.  This is (almost) completely a non-issue with the "altered" dog
     Some of the undesirable behaviour you will see in an "intact" male dog include aggressiveness toward other dogs and/or people, as he will feel more desire to be the "top dog", and  raising their leg to pee on everything in sight, especially if another dog has come into his territory (such as your yard, or living room).  He will do this if the other dog is male, because he wants to make clear that HE is top dog around here.  He will "mark his territory" if a female dog comes around, ESPECIALLY if she happens to be in her "heat" cycle.  If you acquire your dog when he is a puppy, ask your veterinarian about getting your puppy neutered as soon as possible.  Usually by twelve to fifteen weeks of age, most vets will do it.  It is important that you have this done by the time the puppy is six to seven months of age, because he will definitely be on the verge of this state in maturity.  If you have your puppy neutered prior to his beginning to lift his leg, he will probably never begin.  If you are not able to have him neutered until after he has begun to lift his leg, he will likely continue to do that to urinate, and may continue to mark territory to some extent.  But it is not nearly as strong of an urge.  If you have a young puppy neutered, when he is an old dog, he will likely still go outside and squat to pee.  It's not very manly looking, but but your drapes won't smell like dog pee!
     It is also very important that you spay your female dogs early.  Many people believe they should allow the dog to have a litter of puppies before having her "fixed".  They believe this will cause her to be calmer and more satisfied, fulfilled maybe.  I believe this is erroneous and misguided thinking.  A mistake many people make is projecting their human ideas and emotions onto their canine companion, and they are not the same.  The female pet dogs I have had in my house that I had spayed early (by five months) actually seem happier and more playful than ones that have been spayed after having puppies.  Not that it's a waste of time after having puppies.  A female dog will have a "heat" cycle (a "period" of about three weeks duration) approximately every six months.  During this time, your dog may not feel well, and she may have a little or a lot of discharge.  This can turn into quite a mess if she is in your house. and she is susceptible to the sweet talk of any intact male she may come into contact with.  In that case, in 96 days, you family will increase and you will have the responsibility of this new litter.  And she may turn into quite an escape artist during this heat cycle, as her instinct to breed is a very strong one and she will go looking for "Mr. Right Now". 
     I think dogs that have been spayed or neutered are healthier, happier animals who behave better than intact ones do.  And that in turn makes for happier owners.  If you have questions about this or other subjects about your dog, whether or not it is a Miniature Dachshund, please leave a comment to ask, and I'll happily respond.  If I don't know the answer, I'll find out for you. 
     Now, I'd better go take care of those green beans!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. My mini-dachshund is 6 and a half and we just never got around to having him neutered. I finally scheduled an appointment to get the procedure done, though I'm still feeling nervous about it and wonder if I'm making the right choice. Your article is reassuring and makes me think that if anything it will decrease his risk of getting cancer in the future. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete